Shopping for a vehicle can already be difficult, especially when you’re trying to decipher unfamiliar terms. It’s easy to get lost in the jargon when there’s a whole host of engine options to choose from. If you’re shopping for a pick-up truck or an SUV, knowing the difference between a V6 and a V8 will make your decision easier.
While the two engine designs have similarities, understanding the unique features of each can help you narrow down which vehicle will be right for you. The biggest difference is the total number of cylinders in the engine for fuel intake, and the biggest similarity is they are light, compact, and V-shaped, hence the name. So what exactly does all this mean? Keep reading to learn more!
If you’re in the market for a sedan, a hatchback, or a mid-sized crossover, you’ll most likely be looking at vehicles with a V6 engine. In general, a V6 is made up of six cylinders, and you’ll see two rows of three cylinders if you were to look at the engine. A V6 engine is going to be light, less pricey, and more fuel efficient with better handling than a V8 engine.
Advantages of a V6 Engine
There are many advantages to driving a vehicle with a V-6 engine, and it may even better suit your lifestyle as a driver. These advantages include:
- It’s lighter: With two less cylinders, your vehicle will weigh less and make it less nose-heavy when driving.
- Better fuel economy: As a more lightweight engine, you’ll see better fuel economy in your vehicle with a V6 versus one with a V8.
- Lower cost: V6 engines typically cost less than V8 engines.
- Offers great towing capabilities: With great torque, comes great towing capabilities in many SUVs with a V6.
- Better Handling: A lighter engine can also result in better handling on the road and provide more stability.
V8 engines are most commonly found in trucks, large SUVs, and sports cars. V8 engines are known for their ability to be powerful, haul heavy loads, and exhibit great performance. V-8 engines consist of eight cylinders and are bigger and heavier than V6 engines. Due to its larger size, V8s often have lower fuel efficiency compared to a V6.
Advantages of a V8 Engine
There are also many great advantages of owning a vehicle with a V8. These advantages include:
- Increased horsepower: With two additional cylinders, the V8 creates more horsepower than a V6.
- More power: V8 engines generally have more torque, making the engine more powerful and yielding a higher power ceiling.
- More cargo capacity: With the heavier, more powerful engine, you can haul heavier loads which makes them great for handling the needs of a worksite.
- V-8 cylinders tend to have more of a perpendicular angle within the engine
Nissan V6 and V8 Vehicles
There are many great Nissan vehicle options with both V6 and V8 engines. Choosing which engine option is best for you will come down to your lifestyle and what you want to get out of a new vehicle. If your top priorities include fuel efficiency and handling, a vehicle with a V6 may be the right car for you. On the other hand, if you’re prioritizing extra power and frequently haul heavy loads, a V8 option may be a better fit.
The current Nissan lineup includes both V6 and V8, and you’ll find popular family vehicles with a V6 and popular Nissan trucks and SUVs with a V8.
Here are the current Nissan models with a V6 engine:
- 2022, 2023 Nissan Frontier
- 2022, 2023 Nissan Murano
- 2022, 2023 Nissan Pathfinder
- 2022, 2023 Nissan Maxima
- 2023 Nissan Z Sport
- 2023 Nissan Z Performance
- 2023 Nissan Z Proto Spec
Here are the current Nissan Models with a V8 Engine:
- 2022 & 2023 Nissan Titan
- 2022 Nissan Armada
Check out Nissan website vehicle locator to see the various trim levels for the V6 and V8 options, as each model will differ by trim. You’ll see more powerful engine choices with higher trim level packages.
To explore the V6 options, click here. (link: https://www.nissanusa.com/shopping-tools/build-price?engineSize=v6)
To learn more about V8 options, click here.
Check Out Our Selection of New Nissan Models in Orangeburg!
Whether you’re shopping for a vehicle with a V6 or V8 engine, or just want to learn more, Nissan of Orangeburg has you covered! We have a massive new vehicle inventory ready for you, including the Nissan Rogue, Murano, Pathfinder, Titan, and more. We even have a wide variety of pre-owned models here to test drive, if you’re not looking to buy new.
If you’re searching for a Nissan dealer near you, we’re here to help! You can start your search online or come see us right here in Orangeburg, SC. We’re conveniently located near Lexington, Cayce, Columbia, and Charleston, SC. Let us help you find your next ride today!